- Realignment of the existing agriculture portfolio with the aim of boosting food production. This measure comprises agriculture and non agricultural projects;
- Use of budget support instrument for quick disbursement of resources to RMCs;
- Increased dissemination of NERICA rice seeds; and
- Allocation from the Bank’s Surplus Account (UA 20 million).
- These short term measures have resulted in the Bank’s global approval of UA 416.54 million, UA 255.16 million of which is already disbursed.
- Improved rural infrastructure;
- Operationalizing the African Fertilizer Financing Mechanism;
- Increasing NERICA rice production;
- Capacity building, policy dialogue and trade promotion;
- Scaling up private sector operations for food security;
- Promoting agricultural research, and
- Establishing a Crisis Response Facility. Gender mainstreaming and addressing climate change are core guiding principles identified under the AFCR.
- Donor platform: Stakeholders' workshop on the preparation of the agriculture sector strategy
- AFDB 13/07/2009 Interview with AfDB Agriculture & Agro-industry Director, Aly Abou-Sabaa, on the outcomes of the last Ordinary Session of the African Union on Bank operations
Related: 11/11/2009 “Africa has to change ways of doing things in agriculture and to recognize the global winds of change for the sector,” Bank Group Operations Evaluation Officer, Detlev Puetz, said on Tuesday 11 November 2009 in Addis-Ababa, during a presentation on the theme: Facing the financial crisis: The imperative of regional action for agriculture in Africa. In the presence of more than 150 conference participants, Mr. Puetz developed key theories on new paths for agricultural finance development. Experts Reflect on Imperative of Regional Action for Agriculture in Africa