A seminar was therefore organised in Accra on 28th of May by UNEP in cooperation with ICWE as a pre-conference activity to the e-learning Africa 2008 conference.
It had the following objectives:
- to increase awareness by environmental authorities on the cost-effectiveness of eLearning in their training, educational and awareness raising programmes;
- to increase awareness of technology-supported learning and a new way of thinking about environmental education in universities and other learning institutions;
- to strengthen institutional capacities in Africa to mainstream environment in university education across all academic disciplines, as well as long term knowledge competence development;
- to enhance outreach of environmental education in Africa in the context of sustainable development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
The seminar comprised of four sessions:
- Keynote presentations by high-level representatives of environmental institutions in Africa and Europe.
- Roundtable – Policy dialogue on capacity development challenges facing environmental authorities in designing and delivering eLearning.
- Presentations on the application of eLearning in environmental programmes.
- Implementing an eLearning programme – the way forward.
Hereafter folows an interview with Maria Eugenia Arreola of UNEP Nairobi about this seminar.