14-16 July 2008. The Zambia Library Association hosted the XVIII Standing Conference of Eastern, Central and Southern Africa Library and Information Associations (SCECSAL) in Lusaka, Zambia , under the theme - Libraries and Information Services Towards the Attainment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
One seminar examined the emerging field of e-agriculture, and participants shared information and reviewed specific cases of e-agriculture initiatives in Africa and their impact on sharing, managing and delivery of agricultural information and knowledge services to rural-based farmers and communities to help them improve the quantity and quality of their agricultural production.
- FAO’s Virtual Extension and Research Communication Network (VERCON) initiative, Justin CHISENGA, Information Management Specialist, FAO, Accra
- Applications of ICTs in Managing, Sharing and Delivery of Agriculture Information – Case of ZARI Davy Simumba, Senior Analyst, Zambia Agriculture Research Institute, Chilanga, Zambia
- Improving Access to published scholarly literature in Africa: AGORA, HINARI, OARE and TEEAL programs – Gracian CHIMWAZA, Director, ITOCA, Centurion, South Africa
- Using ICTs for Managing Network Genebanks: The Case of SADC Plant Genetic Resources Centre -Barnabas W. KAPANGE, SADC-PGRC, Lusaka, Zambia
- Benefiting from convergence: Increasing Importance of ICT in the Delivery of Information to Farmers - Clemence R. NAMPONYA, Director, Library and Information Services, University of the Free State, South Africa
- Telecommunications Evolution, ICT Sector Policies and Regulatory Governance - Role in
Agriculture, Chabuka Jerome KAWESHA, Regulatory Affairs Manager, Celtel Zambia Plc, Lusaka, Zambia
- FarmPrices Initiative, Coillard HAMUSIMBI, Zambia National Farmers Union, Lusaka, Zambia
- Meeting the Challenges of Rural Development through ICTs, Joseph SEKIKU, FADECO, Tanzania
- The e-Agriculture Initiative: Sharing of Innovative Experiences - Justin CHISENGA, Information
Management Specialist, FAO, Accra, Ghana