6-9 September 2009. Addis Ababa. Organised by the the African Union Commission (AUC) and the Donor Platform. Discussions were held on four consecutive days, gathering a range of stakeholders for both joint and separate sessions:
- Day 1 (6 September) focussed on reviewing CAADP. This session was open only to representatives from African governments and regional institutions engaged with CAADP.
- Days 2 and 3 (7-8 September) were open to donors as well as the above representatives, and concentrated on reviewing the CAADP's progress and agreeing a donor approach for supporting CAADP.
- Day 4 (9 September) open only to donor representatives from agricultural donor working groups and headquarters and focussed on donor planning.
- To deepen awareness on CAADP principles and processes among key donor and government actors, and review recent progress on CAADP at international and country levels;
- To discuss and agree on the modalities, including principles and processes, through which donor support for CAADP-type country plans can be mobilised and harmonised with on-going country led initiatives, including defining country processes for joint work on programme design;
- To consider the opportunities in the coming months for further significant progress, particularly at country level in terms of donor backing for CAADP compacts;
- To consider the practicality of a high level event (for example in the margins of UNGA) at which political backing for a serious and ambitious increase in attention to food security and agricultural development can be cemented.
Based on a set of agreed principles, the Donor Approach aims to bring donors together to transform declarations of support for CAADP into action. Comments from participants at the meeting will be integrated into the Approach document for circulated to ARD stakeholders in time for the Road from L'Aquila meeting on 14-15 September in Washington DC.
Reference: Donor Platform 11/09/2009 CAADP Donors and Partners Meeting