Party, GMED; K. S. Money, Chairman, APEDA; U. K. S. Chauhan, Agricultural
Marketing Advisor; Lamon Rutten, Jt MD, MCX
eAGRICULTURE India 2007 which was held in New Delhi from 31 July - 3 August 2007 aimed to understand the role of ICTs (information and communication technologies) in agricultural development. It featured seven sessions looking at ICTs in relation to agricultural policy, agriculture marketing, education, credit, insurance, extension, and resource management.
Among the recommendations:
- there needs to be a "bottom-up approach to ICT implementation in agriculture."
- "academic and research data in agriculture – available in the form of journals and research paper needs – needs to be digitalised to facilitate cross-flows of information"
- "using ICTs for timely market and weather information is key to development in the farming sector."
- "ICTs can be used to integrate the small-scale farmers and thereby increasetheir bargaining and negotiation power."
- Cross-pollination of information is required amongst the farmers, the scientists, ICT solution providers, policymakers, and other stakeholders."