The Global Non-Timber Forest Products (NTFP) Partnership aims to link global, regional, and national organizations currently engaged in research and development activities concerning the systematic conservation and management of NTFPs in four regions: Africa, East and Southeast Asia, Latin America, and South Asia.
The objectives of the conference were
- To understand the severity of dependence on wood for energy needs in Africa and globally
- To better understand charcoal flows, specifically
- To understand the trends in deforestation due to charcoal production
- To identify areas suitable for charcoal production not currently utilized
- To find effective and alternative sources of charcoal production, in order to curb deforestation and global warming, including the promotion of bamboo for bio-energy
- To propose possible policy interventions that can be carried out in order to secure the supply of charcoal to the low-income population and to mitigate adverse effects of charcoal production
- To explore the potential and facilitate technology transfer and adaptation
- To establish a network and create a community of practice
- To develop project concept notes
- To raise awareness and create interest among the donor community
Click here for the agenda of the Charcoal and Communities Conference, Maputo, 16 - 18 June.