Coming close to mid-term of FP7 implementation, this 3-day conference took stock of the progress made so far and identify ways and means for putting the European research system at the service of sustainable development.
Dr. Jones was a speaker during the session on, ‘Enhancing global sustainability through international cooperation’. He gave a speech on ‘opportunities to promote food security in Africa through scientific cooperation’.
Major issues raised during the conference included:
- accountability of research for sustainable development; and how it can assist in the industry’s transition towards sustainable development
- sustainability of cities, sustainability of road transport and social sustainability
- corporate responsibility, life-cycle assessments and environmental technologies for economic development,
- tools and methodologies for water management,
- foresight and public goods- new framing for agricultural research
- contributions of civil society organizations to research for sustainable development
- nuclear energy and sustainability: role of research
- interactions and feedbacks between ecosystems and climate change