The World Bank Institute organised a workshop on climate change adaptation in agriculture that took place from May 19 until May 21 at the Alisa North Ridge Hotel in Accra.
The recently completed World Bank Groups Strategic Framework on Development and Climate Change emphasizes the need for financial support, knowledge sharing and capacity building as an urgent requirement to reduce the adverse impacts of climate change on development, in particular agriculture.
David A. George of the World bank Institute explains how the experience of Australian farmers with the management of climate variability has led to the creation of climate adaptation education tools. He clarifies how this can be useful for Africa
- George, D.A., Birch, C., Buckley, D.J., Partridge, J. and. Clewett, J.F. (2005), Surveying and assessing climate risk to reduce uncertainty and improve farm business management. Extension Farming Systems Journal. 1(1), 71-77.
- George, D.A., Clewett, J.F., Birch C., Partridge, I.J., Clarkson, N.M. and Allen W. (2005), Applied climate education to help manage climate change in Australia.. Proceedings of the 17th International Congress of Biometeorology, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, September 5-9, 2005. The International Society of Biometeorology, pp. 235-238.
- George, D.A., Birch, C., Clewett, J.F., Wright A., Allen, W. and Keogh, D.U. (2007), Needs for applied climate education in agriculture. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture. 47(1), 1-12.
- George, D.A., Birch, C., Clewett, J.F., Wright, A. and Allen, W. (2005), Major issues and solutions to applied climate education in Australia. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education. 12(3), 21-31.
- George, D.A., Clewett, J.F., Birch, C., Wright A. and Allen, W. (2007), Development and accreditation of an applied climate education unit for sustainable land use in Australia. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 29,(4), 87-108.
- George, D.A., Clewett, J.F., Selvaraju, R. and Birch, C. (2006), Applied climate education and training for agricultural and natural resource management in India, Indonesia, Zimbabwe and Australia. Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension. 12(2), 141-157.
- George, D.A., Clewett, J.F., Wright, A. Birch, C. and Allen, W. (2007), Improving farmer knowledge and skills to better manage climate variability and climate change. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education. 14(2), 5-19.
- George, D.A., Clewett, J.F., Birch, C.J, Wright A.H. and Allen, W.R. (2009), A professional development climate course for sustainable agriculture in Australia. Journal of Environmental Education Research. 15 (x) xx-xx.
- George, D. A., Clewett, J. F., Huda, A. K. S., Birch, C. J., Wright, A. H., Allen, W. R. and Parvez, Q. (2007). A longitudinal study of farmers and trainers capturing climate information for sustainable development. In: A. Ahmed (Ed.). World Sustainable Development Outlook 2007 - Knowledge Management and Sustainable Development in the 21st Century. Sussex, Greenleaf Publishing Limited. pp. 141-152.
AdaptNet is RMIT University Global Cities Institute's Climate Change Adaptation Working Group network focused on urban climate change adaptation. This decentralized network creates a set of common knowledge and reference points for participants in the network; it offers a stock of such knowledge, and either offers tools or direct users to tools to undertake urban climate change adaptive policy research and analysis. AdaptNet highlights best practice and demonstration projects. It focuses on cities in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region, but nested within the global network of cities.